Friday, April 20, 2012

Opening Day 2012

After taking an inexcusable hiatus, this blogger is back and ready for some baseball! So much to fill you in on and talk about, it’s hard to determine where to start!

So, why not start with Opening Day 2012. Ah, Opening Day. The two words that can cause any Cardinal fan to drool after a cold winter basking in the shadow of that beautiful trophy. Two words that native St. Louis folks would like written into law as an official holiday. Two words…
If you recall from a previous post, attending a game on Opening Day is on my (should be everyone’s) Cardinals Bucket List. I couldn’t imagine a better time to place a big check next to an item. Hot off the World Series, Adam Wainwright back in the lineup, and a new team spirit sans Sir Albert. I had been dreaming of the pageantry that would be added on top of an already special occasion. In fact, I was so excited I bought tickets the minute they went on sale, and had been ogling over them ever since. 

Two more words: Rain Delay. What a bummer. After waiting months for the first pitch, driving hours to get to St. Louis, and spending (too many) dollars on those tickets, those two words come and literally rain all over the parade. 

One of the things I was really looking forward to was the trot around the field by the Budweiser Clydesdales. Being from the Derby City, I have a special fondness of horses, and these are the crème de la crème. They are class act, majestic beasts that take your breath away. Plus, I love that they bring the Dalmatian in the cart with them! When I hear that special song, my ears perk up and I look around, waiting to catch a glimpse. But the rain poured all over those hopes, and the pretty ponies were nowhere to be found.

I had read some posts from others about Opening Day and their fondness of the National Anthem on that day. Apparently it has been typical for a three-note lead-in to be played, and let the stadium full of excited fans sing the rest a capella. I, of course, cannot corroborate this, having never attended Opening Day until now, but from the volume of chatter, I’d say it’s safe to assume. In a break from tradition, Shannon Magrane, recent American Idol contestant, sang the anthem herself. I understand that we were celebrating a World Series victory, and her father, Joe Magrane, was part of the 1987 World Series team, but is that cause to break tradition? Could that have waited until Game 2 when the Cardinals received their rings? I’m proud of our country, and especially since 9/11, I tend to get sentimental when I hear the anthem. I was hoping for an emotional connection that just wasn’t there.

The other festivities were present: the all-star lap around the field, the team lap around the field, the bald eagle flight, the fly-over, etc. They also paraded around that shiny trophy and hoisted the pennant flag for our World Series victory. It stopped raining just long enough to get in these events, but the wet and cold still left a lackluster impression on all of it.
After all that hoopla, there was still a baseball game to be played. Adam Wainwright threw his first pitch at home in what felt like forever. Actually, so long that this was the first time I’ve ever seen him throw in-person. But alas, the rain came down in an ironic, mystic sort of way, hiding the tears on the faces of the fans. Even Mother Nature was saddened by loss. Finally adding insult to injury, the loss was to the Cubs.

For these reasons, I give myself only a partial ‘check’ on my bucket list. Yes, I attended. And yes, it was still St. Louis Baseball. But, we can do better…



It is also for these reasons (primarily the weather), that there are not more wonderful pictures of the event to share. But here are some, nonetheless!

Fredbird

#21 Allen Craig - Because I miss him and Torty!

#55 - Skip Schumaker - Because I miss him too!

Raising the new 2011 World Series Champion Pennant

Flight of the Bald Eagle

#50 Adam Wainwright's first pitch

#15 Rafael Furcal making the play

No comments:

Post a Comment