Tuesday, February 21, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

It’s time for me to fess up and admit something to you all – I was not always a St. Louis Cardinals fan. But in my defense, I live in a town ruled heavily by our love for college sports, and we have no local pro teams in baseball, basketball, football, or anything. I might have been able to latch on to the Cardinals when I was younger, when the Minor League team was still here, but they’ve since moved and left us with the Cincinnati Minor League team. Nice ball park, but come on… it’s the Reds! I’m just thankful that even though the Reds are closer that I didn’t end up somehow hitched to their wagon.

I actually never even cared for baseball. Like others that do not, I thought it was long and boring to watch. But then my soul was saved. I met my husband. 

My husband is from St. Louis and is a die-hard Cardinals fan. So of course, as our relationship continued, it was inevitable that I would find myself in the city, and then at the ballpark. It wasn’t too hard to get involved. Sir Albert, my hubby’s fave at the time, wore the number 5, which has long been “my” number. And since I am a die-hard Louisville fan, “Go Cards” already rolled off my tongue with ease. Better yet, as luck would have it, pitcher Todd Wellemeyer and I were in the same class in High School. All of these factors made it at least bearable. And of course I started taking pictures, which were turning out to be pretty cool, so that helped. But why did I fall in love?

Well, with my husband, it’s because he’s my Prince Charming and the reasons are just endless. But for the Cardinals, the trait that pushed this from acquaintance to adoration was Cardinals Nation. There is no greater fan base in all of baseball. I am so proud to be a part of a community that supports its club with such passion, but holds itself to a high standard. To see the fans give standing ovations to former players when they return shows how much each player and the game itself mean. 

And not to mention the ‘home’ of Cardinals Nation, Busch Stadium. I get chills every time I see it. It’s so beautiful. Not a bad seat in the house. And it’s full of all my fellow Cardinals Nation fans. There’s absolutely nothing like it. (And I’d be foolish not to mention it’s the home of the best hot dogs ever!)

During the World Series, I had the opportunity to experience even more of what this means. I was hugged by and high-fiving so many strangers it was crazy! We even had fans we got to know and would look for at each game. These people weren’t strangers at all… they are my extended Cardinals family. Each and every one of them. And THAT is what makes St. Louis the all-time best club to be associated with. 







No comments:

Post a Comment